Leadership for Diversity Institute
The Leadership for Diversity Institute is a 4-day Leadership program currently held three times per year in the Baltimore Metro area, near BWI airport. It’s attended by representatives world-wide and teaches participants hands-on, practical skills for building cultural competency, welcoming diversity, and increasing unity and inclusion.
In large group classes, participants learn a replicable set of practical skills; then in small group sessions there is an opportunity to practice the skills with support and encouragement from others.
What you will learn -
A. How to Integrate a Powerful Set of Diversity Skills into your Leadership
- Valuing and welcoming similarities and differences among group members
- Examining the misinformation and unconscious bias that impacts our behavior toward others
- Understanding the role identity plays in leadership
- Identifying the harmful effects of oppression on one’s own group
- Preventing and interrupting bigoted remarks and behaviors
- Learning how to be an ally to all groups
B. How to Gain Greater Support for your Leadership on Diversity Issues
Participants practice how to implement NCBI skills and practices in their own workplace and community settings. Individual coaching is provided in these skills:
- Leading effective meetings that include everyone’s voice
- Building a team of support for one’s own leadership
- Structuring effective, respectful conversations about difference and
- Increasing cultural competency
C. How to Listen to Concerns Underneath Controversial Issues
Participants learn skills to move hotly contested issues forward and reframe the conversation in a way that builds bridges.
D. How to Partner with NCBI to Build a Local Community, Campus or Organizational affiliate to Institutionalize the Skills.
NCBI is an NASW approved CE provider. The Leadership for Diversity Institute is awarded 25.5 NASW CEU hours.
Upon completion of the Institute, NCBI issues a certificate to all participants.