Leadership for Diversity Institute ~ April 10-13, 2014 ~ Information and Registration
April 10-13, 2014
DoubleTree Annapolis ~ Annapolis, MD USA
Registration Is Currently Open!
1120 Connecticut Avenue, N.W.
Washington DC 20036
The Leadership for Diversity Institute teaches participants hands-on, practical skills for building cultural competency, welcoming diversity, and increasing unity and inclusion.
Whether you are a college administrator or faculty; a schoolteacher or parent; a manager who is responsible for supervising diverse employees in government or in the corporate world; a police officer or community activist - this Institute will give you the hands-on skills needed to be an innovative leader. In large group classes, participants learn a replicable set of practical skills; then in small group settings, there is an opportunity to practice the skills with support and encouragement from others.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
A: Diversity and Inclusion Skills
These skills include:
• Valuing and welcoming similarities and differences among group members and staff;
• Examining the misinformation that impacts our behavior toward others;
• Understanding the role indentify plays in leadership;
• Identifying the harmful effects of oppression on one’s own group;
• Preventing and interrupting bigoted remarks and behaviors;
• Learning how to be an ally to all groups.
B: How to Integrate NCBI Principles and Practices into Your Leadership - Participants practice how to implement NCBI skills and practices in their own workplace and community settings. Individual coaching is provided in these skills:
• Leading effective meetings that include everyone’s voice;
• Building a team of support for one’s own leadership;
• Structuring effective, respectful conversations about difference; and
• Increasing cultural competency.
C: How to Listen to Concerns Underneath Controversial Issues - Participants will learn skills to move hotly contested issues forward and reframe the debate in a way that builds bridges.
D: How to partner with NCBI to build a local community, campus or organizational affiliate to institutionalize the skills.
NCBI Certificate issued upon completion for 27 hours of Diversity Training.
National Association of Social Workers Certificate issued for 25 contact hours through the NASW CE Program.
Materials to download:
Principles into Practice: Strengthening Leadership for a Diverse Society
Through April 4. 2014
Last day for Early Registration:
March 20, 2014
- Early Registration Fee
- Regular Registration Fee (after March 20)
Full registration fee refunds will be honored until March 13. From March 13-27, half the registration fee will be refunded. No refunds after March 27.
Location:Doubletree Annapolis 210 Holiday Court Annapolis, MD 21401 410-224-3150 phone Contact the hotel directly to make your reservations. Be sure to tell them you are with NCBI to get the early bird discount rate of $129.00 per night. Early bird discount ends on March 14, 2014.